Create Great Coffee: Kalita Wave
What you need
- Kalita Wave 185 dripper
- Kalita Wave 185 filter
- 26g Creation Coffee (1 Tbsp = roughly 7g)
- Water right off the boil (about 205°F)
- Gooseneck Kettle
- Spoon (optional)
- Mug or brewing carafe
1. Set dripper on mug or carafe and place filter in dripper. Rinse filter thoroughly with hot water. This removes the papery taste from the filter and pre-heats your vessel.
2. Discard the rinse water from the carafe or mug and grind 26g of coffee slightly coarser than table salt. Put coffee in filter, shaking it gently to make sure the bed of grounds is flat. Place the dripper on top of a carafe or mug. Tare your scale to zero.
3. Start timer and saturate the dry grounds completely with 60g of hot water, completing the pour within 10 seconds. Stir the coffee with a spoon to make sure no grounds are left dry (optional, but optimal). If your coffee is fresh, you'll see it "bloom" or bubble up as gasses are being released.
4. At :40, pour water up to 200g in a spiral motion, completing this pour at 1:00.
5. Pour 50g at a time up to 400g, completing your pour at 2:00. Try to keep the water level even, aiming for dark spots on the surface.
6. Coffee should finish dripping through around 3:00. If your timing is different of if your coffee isn't tasting right, check out our article on grinding coffee for troubleshooting tips.